Case Study / Compensation Redesign

Two-office regional AmLaw 200 firm.

Key Issues
Compensation system that rewarded hoarding, discouraged collaboration—squarely at odds with the firm’s newly adopted strategic plan. Engagement was to thoroughly reform and update the compensation system.

Actions
Met one-on-one with every equity partner and key business professionals. Exhaustively researched and created schema of the wide variety of approaches to partner compensation across the legal industry. Based on (a) the firm’s new strategic direction; (b) a nuanced understanding of what the partnership was seeking and was capable of; and (c) the industry’s history of variety in compensation systems and broad diversity of approach, recommended an entirely new system incorporating (a) quantitative, financial-performance driven metrics for approximately 75% of equity partner compensation including measured “imports” and “exports” among practice areas to quantify and reward collaboration; (b) quantitatively defined and capped but subjectively allocated points for the remaining 25% determined by positive, “firm first” behaviors and good citizenship (mentoring associates, raising the firm’s profile in the community, transitioning clients from older to younger partners).

Also recommended the process be undertaken every other year rather than annually and that discretionary bonuses/penalties be used in the “off” years. Urged management at the highest level to exhaustively communicate the goals of the firm, the strategy, and how the compensation system supported both.

Results
The firm will be moving to the new system following one “hybrid” transition year. Supporting the strategic plan’s principles through the mechanism of compensation has renewed the partnership’s commitment to the new way forward.

learn more about Adam Smith, Esq. & compensation +

Publications

Contact

Bruce MacEwen, President
Email
direct: +1.212.866.4800
mobile: .+1.212.866.2630
New York

Janet Stanton, Partner
Email
direct: +1.212.866.4270
New York

Sign-up for email

Be the first to learn of Adam Smith, Esq. invitation-only events, surveys, and reports.

Join +

X

Sign-up for email

Be the first to learn of Adam Smith, Esq. invitation-only events, surveys, and reports.





Get Our Latest Articles Delivered to Your Inbox

Like having coffee with Adam Smith, Esq. in the morning (coffee not included).

Oops, we need this information
Oops, we need this information
Oops, we need this information

Thanks and a hearty virtual handshake from the team at Adam Smith, Esq.; we’re glad you opted to hear from us.

What you can expect from us:

  • an email whenever we publish a new article;
  • respect and affection for our loyal readers. This means we’ll exercise the strictest discretion with your contact info; we will never release it outside our firm under any circumstances, not for love and not for money. And we ourselves will email you about a new article and only about a new article.

Welcome onboard! If you like what you read, tell your friends, and if you don’t, tell us.

PS: You know where to find us so we invite you to make this a two-way conversation; if you have an idea or suggestion for something you’d like us to discuss, drop it in our inbox. No promises that we’ll write about it, but we will faithfully promise to read your thoughts carefully.